Our P.E. days!
6F: P.E. is on Wednesday and Friday
6R: P.E. is on Tuesday
Keep checking on our class page and follow us on twitter to find out what we have been up to this half term!
We will be working on a range of activities linked to our novel ‘Kensuke’s Kingdom’ by Michael Morpurgo.
· Write a range of different genres (including diary entries, arguments and persuasive pieces) inspired by the novel.
· Create a map of the island using information in the book to help.
· Identify the places Michael travelled to, find out more information about each place and calculate the distance that he travelled.
· Plot his journey on a map.
· Learn about the role of Japan in World War 2, the events of Pearl Harbour and the bombing of Hiroshima/Nagasaki.
Through a range of activities we will be learning about islands, including St Lucia.
We will learn to:
· Locate St Lucia on a map - identify physical features and study images of the island;
· Look at climate and population;
· Compare London with the city of Castries;
· Look at tourism and exports and their effects on the landscape and economy;
· Write the script for a tour guide of St. Lucia and present to class.
Through a range of activities we will be learning about World Trading.
We will learn:
· To explain and map the UK’s trade links with other countries.
· To understand the global distribution of food and natural resources.
· To understand trade links between El Salvador and the UK.
· To understand globalisation and the impacts of multinational companies.
· To understand changes in trading through history.
Through a range of cross curricular activities incorporating Art, Music, and Topic we will be learning about The Ancient Kingdom of Benin.
We will learn about:
· How the African Kingdom fits in with other historical time periods.
· The importance of art and religion to the people of Benin and exploring ancient artefacts.
· The leaders of the civilisation and how the Kingdom of Benin came to an end.
In English, we will be working on writing a balanced argument and poetry.
Our Science work will focus on evolution and inheritance.
An exciting topic leading up to Christmas for Year 6!
We will be attending a private screening of the Home Alone film to inspire our DT work this half term. We will also be looking at the genre of mystery and journalistic writing.
Through a range of cross curricular activities incorporating Science, DT, Art, Computing and Music, we will also be learning about:
· Optical Illusions and Op Art artists
· John William's film compositions
· Constructing a ‘Home Alone’ house
· Using computing to design wallpaper and 3D room
For our first half term in Year 6, we will be learning all about World War II. The children will spend time looking at the causes, key events and significant figures of the war and learning all about how Hitler was eventually defeated. We will also be visiting Eden Camp!